Monday, January 8, 2018

Monday Mourning, Coming Down.

I want to say that mornings are the hardest... but then again, it's all pretty rough. However, our morning routine was so practiced, so absolute - it feels like every motion I go through is truncated, incomplete somehow. 

First off - there's no one to nag me about spending too much time in the bathroom.  I can sit there, reading to my heart's content, without the gradual escalation of first hearing his heavy breathing under the doorway, followed by a soft little "wuff", and then the heavy artillery - the low whine.  The "I'm a poor abandoned orphan" whine.  The whine that has everyone with any heart reaching for the phone to call the ASPCA.  I could actually finish a WaPo article if I wanted to... I just don't have the interest anymore.

Then there's the chair.  I have full occupancy of the chair now - I don't have to contort my body to make room for a furry comma to wrap itself around my body, settling at the hip.  I can count out my various morning pills in peace, no wet little nose nudging my arm, trying for a few more ear skritches.  God, I miss that warmth!

And typing... I can go ahead and type at full speed, not having to deploy my arms in a contortionist's pose around a rub-starved belly shoved between me and the keyboard.  I just can't see what it is I'm typing because my eyes are swollen from too many tears. 

I know - this is just the first couple of days, I'll get over it, I'll move on.  Well, literally, I'm moving on - we leave for Utah tomorrow.  But for today... God, I miss my boy.

No comments: